This page is currently not sponsored. Click here to sponsor this page.
The bedrock of the western portion of the county is Ordovician carbonates of the Prairie du Chien group, which is often quarried for crushed stone. Vuggy areas in the Ordovician dolostone can yield interesting samples of calcite, dolomite,quartz and goethite pseudomorphs after marcasite and pyrite. The eastern portion of the county is underlain by Cambrian sandstone and shale. The sandstone is often valued and quarried for "frac sand". The gold noted below is in glacial drift, where small amounts may show up by panning local streams or from cave fill brought in by meltwater streams.
Mineral ListMineral list contains entries from the region specified including sub-localities
5 valid minerals.
Rock Types RecordedEntries shown in red are rocks recorded for this region.
Note: this is a very new system on mindat.org and data is currently VERY limited. Please bear with us while we work towards adding this information!
Rock list contains entries from the region specified including sub-localities
Localities in this Region
- Dunn Co.
- Arles Hoff dolomite deposit
- Bates Quarry
- Big Beaver Creek Sandstone Quarry
- Bolen Creek dolomite deposit
- Boyceville Quarry (Barron County Agriculture Department; Barron County Lime Quarry)
- Bundy Pit
- Butler Shale Quarry
- C. Mittlestadt Sandstone Quarry
- Caryville Sandstone Quarry
- Colfax Sandstone Quarry
- Connorsville sandstone deposit
- Cotts Quarry (Dunn County Highway Department)
- Downing sandstone deposit No. 1
- Downing sandstone deposit No. 2
- Downing sandstone deposit No. 3
- E. & D. Keller sandstone deposit
- Eau Galle River dolomite deposit No. 2
- Falkner Shale Quarry
- Fesenmaier Dolomite Quarry
- Gilbert Creek dolomite deposit No. 1
- Gilbert Creek dolomite deposit No. 2
- Gilbert Creek dolomite deposit No. 3
- Gilbert Creek dolomite deposit No. 4
- Gilbert Creek dolomite deposit No. 5
- Gilbert Creek Sandstone Quarry
- Ginsbach dolomite deposit
- Grant Styer dolomite deposit
- Hay Creek dolomite deposit No. 1
- Hay Creek dolomite deposit No. 2
- Hay Creek Shale Quarry
- Hay River clay deposit
- Dunn Co.
- Dunn Co.
- Herman Kuehl Dolomite Quarry
- Irving Creek Dolomite Quarry
- Irvington dolomite deposit
- J. A. Samenfink sandstone deposit
- Knapp Mining and Investment diggings
- Knapp sandstone & shale deposit
- Knights Creek Dolomite Quarry
- Lambs Creek clay deposit
- Lambs Creek dolomite deposit No. 1
- Lambs Creek dolomite deposit No. 2
- Little Elk Creek Shale Quarry
- Little Otter Creek Shale Quarry
- Little Otter Creek Siltstone Quarry
- Markham Shale Quarry
- Menomonie Junction Sandstone Quarry
- Otter Creek Shale Quarry
- Popple Creek siltstone deposit
- Red Cedar River limestone deposit
- Ridgeland sandstone deposit
- Robert Stewart dolomite deposit
- Rock Creek Shale Quarry
- Rush Creek sandstone deposit
- Schlosser Quarry (Dunn County Highway Department)
- Sherman Quarry
- Styer dolomite deposit
- Township of Red Cedar Quarry (Red Cedar Township Quarry; Dunn County Highway Department)
- Vivoda Dolomite Quarry
- West Road sandstone deposit
- Wheeler Clay Pit
- Wilson Creek Sandstone Quarry
- Dunn Co.
This page contains all mineral locality references listed on mindat.org. This does not claim to be a complete list. If you know of more minerals from this site, please register so you can add to our database. This locality information is for reference purposes only. You should never attempt to visit any sites listed in mindat.org without first ensuring that you have the permission of the land and/or mineral rights holders for access and that you are aware of all safety precautions necessary.
Dott, Robert H. & J.W. Attig, (2004) Roadside Geology of Wisconsin, Mountain Press, 345 p.