|Location is approximate, estimate based on other nearby localities.|
|Latitude & Longitude (WGS84):||40° North , 14° East (est.)|
|Margin of Error:||~8km|
|Köppen climate type:||Csa : Hot-summer Mediterranean climate|
|Name(s) in local language(s):||Campi Flegrei, Provincia di Napoli, Complesso vulcanico flegreo, Campania, Italia|
Caldera of a quaternary volcano located northwest of Naples. This caldera has a diametre of 12–15 km in its main part, where at least 24 craters and small volcanic edifices are located. The erupted lavas vary in composition from K-basalts to alkali-trachyte and phonolite.
It is a very dangerous volcanic area because it includes part of the city of Naples (the districts of Bagnoli, Fuorigrotta, Pianura, Posilippo, Soccavo, and the localities of Agnano and Pisani) and the municipalities of Bacoli, Monte di Procida, Pozzuoli, and Quarto Flegreo. The area was affected in the past by numerous large explosive eruptions, the last of which occurred in 1538 at Monte Nuovo. This eruption followed a period of ground uplift, which suddenly interrupted a secular subsidence, which continued with the same rate after the eruption. A new uplift started in 1950 and reached a maximum of about 4 m in 1985 near the town of Pozzuoli. This process occurred during three major unrest periods (bradyseisms), the first in 1950-1952, the second in 1969-1972, and the third in 1982-1984. In addition, four minor uplift periods occurred in 1989, 1994, 2000 and 2006. All of the uplift periods in this area were accompanied by seismicity, and in particular, many thousands of earthquakes occurred during the two major crises in 1969-1972 and in 1982-1984.
Mineral ListMineral list contains entries from the region specified including sub-localities
88 valid minerals. 5 (TL) - type locality of valid minerals.
Localities in this RegionShow map
This page contains all mineral locality references listed on mindat.org. This does not claim to be a complete list. If you know of more minerals from this site, please register so you can add to our database. This locality information is for reference purposes only. You should never attempt to visit any sites listed in mindat.org without first ensuring that you have the permission of the land and/or mineral rights holders for access and that you are aware of all safety precautions necessary.
Sort by Year (asc) | by Year (desc) | by Author (A-Z) | by Author (Z-A)
- Breislak, S. (1798): Topografia Fisica della Campania, Brazzini Firenze
- Scacchi, A. (1848): Memorie Geologiche della Campania, Rend. Acc. Sci. Napoli, 41, 8-43
- Roth, J. (1857): Der Vesuv und die Umgebung von Neapel, XVII. Das phlegraeische Gebiet, Wilhelm Hertz, Berlin, 479 ff
- vom Rath, G. (1866): Mineralogisch-geognostische Fragmente aus Italien. Zeitschrift der deutschen geologischen Gesellschaft, 18, 614 ff
- Scacchi, A., (1890): La Regione Vulcanica Fluorifera della Campania, (II Edition). Mem. Regio Com. Geol. d'It. Vol IV, Firenze
- Rittmann, A., (1950): Sintesi Geologica dei Campi Flegrei, Boll. Soc. Geol. It., LXIX-II, 117-128
- Pichler, H. (1970): Italienische Vulkangebiete II, Bornträger Berlin Stuttgart
- Barberi, F., Hill, D.P. , Innocenti, F., Luongo, G., Treuil, M. (1984): On the 1982–1984 bradyseismic crisis at Phlegraean Fields (Italy). Bull. Volcanol., 47, 171-411.
- Di Vito, M., Lirer, L., Mastrolorenzo, G., Rolandi, G., Scandone, R. (1985): Volcanological Map of Campi Flegrei; Min. Prot. Civ., Univ. degli Studi di Napoli
- Lirer, L., Luongo, G., Scandone, R., (1987): On the Volcanological Evolution of Campi Flegrei, EOS, Trans. Am. Geophys. Union, 68, 226-234.
- Rosi, M., Sbrana, A. (1987): Phlegrean fields, Quaderni de “la Ricerca scientifica” -114- , Vol. 9, Consiglio nazionale delle ricerche, Roma.
- Orsi, G., De Vita, S., Di Vito, M. (1996): The restless, resurgent Campi Flegrei nested caldera (Italy): constraints on its evolution and configuration, J. Volcanol. Geotherm. Res., 74, 179-214.
- Del Gaudio, C., Aquino, I., Ricciardi, G.P., Ricco, C., Scandone, R. (2010): Unrest episodes at Campi Flegrei: A reconstruction of vertical ground movements during 1905–2009. J. Volcanol. Geotherm. Res., 195, 48-56.
Fedele, L., Lustrino, M., Melluso, L., Morra, V., Zanetti, A., Vanucci, R. (2015) Trace element partitioning between plagioclase, alkali feldspar, Ti-magnetite, biotite, apatite, and evolved potassic liquids from Campi Flegrei (Southern Italy). American Mineralogist, 100, 233–249.