Oakdale Colliery, Oakdale, Caerphilly, Wales, UK
|Latitude & Longitude (WGS84):||51° 41' 0'' North , 3° 10' 2'' West|
|Latitude & Longitude (decimal):||51.68349,-3.16744|
|UK National Grid Reference:||ST193990|
|Other/historical region names associated with this locality:||Gwent; Monmouthshire|
|Other regions containing this locality:||Glamorgan, Wales, UK|
Opened in 1911, the colliery was owned by the Oakdale Navigation Collieries Ltd, a subsidiary of the Tredegar Iron Company. It employed a workforce 2,235 at its peak in 1938.
Oakdale was linked to Markham and the Celynen North collieries in the late seventies and early eighties, making it the largest colliery in Gwent. The pit closed in 1989 and the tips are now largely removed and landscaped.
6 valid minerals.
This geological map and associated information on rock units at or nearby to the coordinates given for this locality is based on relatively small scale geological maps provided by various national Geological Surveys. This does not necessarily represent the complete geology at this locality but it gives a background for the region in which it is found.
Click on geological units on the map for more information. Click here to view full-screen map on Macrostrat.org
|Westphalian - Moscovian|
307 - 315.2 Ma
|South Wales Upper Coal Measures Formation|