This page kindly sponsored by Ralph Bottrill
|Location is approximate, based on center of defined region.|
|Latitude & Longitude:||41° South , 146° East (est.)|
|Museums in region:|
|Other/historical region names associated with this locality:||Van Diemans Land|
An island state of the Commonwealth of Australia. It is located 240 km south of the Australian mainland, separated by Bass Strait. The state encompasses the main island of Tasmania, the 26th-largest island in the world, and the surrounding 334 islands. The state has a population of around 518,500 (as of March 2016), and the state capital and largest city is Hobart.
Tasmania's area is 68,401 km2 , of which the main island covers 64,519 km2. The Bishop and Clerk Islets, about 37 km south of Macquarie Island, are the southernmost terrestrial point of the state of Tasmania, and the southernmost internationally recognised land in Australia.
Commodity ListThis is a list of exploitable or exploited mineral commodities recorded from this region.
Mineral ListMineral list contains entries from the region specified including sub-localities
486 valid minerals. 11 (TL) - type locality of valid minerals.
Rock Types Recorded
Note: this is a very new system on mindat.org and data is currently VERY limited. Please bear with us while we work towards adding this information!
Rock list contains entries from the region specified including sub-localities
Select Rock List TypeAlphabetical List Tree Diagram
Entries shown in red are rocks recorded for this region.
- Igneous rock
- Normal crystalline igneous rock
- Coarse-grained ("plutonic") crystalline igneous rock
- Fine-grained ("volcanic") normal crystalline igneous rock
- ⓘ Dolerite
- ⓘ Porphyry
- Exotic crystalline igneous rock
- Normal crystalline igneous rock
- Sedimentary rock and sediment
- Volcaniclastic rock and sediment
- Sedimentary rock
- Metamorphic rock
- Meta-igneous rock
- High-grade metamorphic rock
- Very low to low-grade metamorphic rock
- ⓘ Schist
- Unclassifed rock
- Superficial deposit
- Artificial material
GeochronologyMineralization age: Phanerozoic : 541 ± 1.0 Ma to 0 Ma
Important note: This table is based only on rock and mineral ages recorded below and is not necessarily a complete representation of the geochronology, but does give an indication of possible mineralization events relevant to this locality. As more age information is added this table may expand in the future. A break in the table simply indicates a lack of data entered here, not necessarily a break in the geologic sequence. Grey background entries are from different, related, localities.
Localities in this Region
- ⭔Break O'Day municipality
- ⭔Brighton municipality
- ⭔Burnie city
- ⭔Central Coast municipality
- ⭔Central Highlands municipality
- ⭔Circular Head municipality
- ⭔Clarence city
- ⭔Derwent Valley municipality
- ⭔Devonport City municipality
- ⭔Dorset municipality
- Fingal valley
- ⭔Flinders municipality
- ⭔George Town municipality
- ⭔Glamorgan Spring Bay municipality
- ⭔Glenorchy city
- ⭔Hobart city
- ⭔Huon Valley municipality
- ⭔Kentish municipality
- ⭔King Island municipality
- ⭔Kingborough municipality
- ⭔Latrobe municipality
- ⭔Launceston City municipality
- ⭔Meander Valley municipality
- ⭔Northern Midlands municipality
- ⭔Sorell municipality
- ⭔Southern Midlands municipality
- ⭔Tasman Municipality
- ⭔Waratah-Wynyard municipality
- ⭔West Coast municipality
- ⭔West Tamar municipality
This page contains all mineral locality references listed on mindat.org. This does not claim to be a complete list. If you know of more minerals from this site, please register so you can add to our database. This locality information is for reference purposes only. You should never attempt to visit any sites listed in mindat.org without first ensuring that you have the permission of the land and/or mineral rights holders for access and that you are aware of all safety precautions necessary.
Sort by Year (asc) | by Year (desc) | by Author (A-Z) | by Author (Z-A)
- Petterd, W.F. (1910): Catalogue of the Minerals of Tasmania. Hobart, 221 pp.
- Anonymous (1969): Catalogue of the Minerals of Tasmania. Tasmanian Department of Mines Geological Survey Report 9, 110 pp.
- Lancaster (1980): Minerals and Gemstones of Tasmania and their Locations. Gemcraft, Victoria, 55 pp.
- Solomon, M. (1981): An introduction to the geology and metallic ore deposits of Tasmania. Economic Geology 76, 194-208.
- Haupt, J. (1988): Minerals of Western Tasmania. Mineralogical Record 19, 365-376.
- Burrett, C. F. & Martin, E. L. (1989): Geology and mineral resources of Tasmania. Geological Society of Australia Special Publ. 15, 574 pp.
- Bottrill, R.S. & Bacon, C.A. (1997) Fossicking areas in Tasmania. Mineral Resources Tasmania, Hobart, 35 pp.
- F.L. Sutherland and R.S. Bottrill (2005): Zeolites of western Tasmania. Australian Journal of Mineralogy 10, 59-72.
- Bottrill, R. S. & Matthews, W.L. (2006): Occurrences of gemstone minerals in Tasmania. Geological Survey, Mineral Resources Tasmania, 30 pp.
- Seymour, D.B., Green, G.R. and Calver, C.R. (2006): The Geology and Mineral Deposits of Tasmania. Geological Survey Bulletin 72, Mineral Resources Tasmania, 29 pp.
- Bottrill, R. S. & Baker, W. E. (2008): A Catalogue of the Minerals of Tasmania. Geological Survey Bulletin 73, Mineral Resources Tasmania, 254 pp.
- Bottrill, R. S. (2010): Alluvial gold in Tasmania. Mineral Resources of Tasmania 11, Mineral Resources Tasmania, 28 pp.
-Bottrill, R. S., Huston, D. L., Tahiri, J., and Zaw, K., 1992, Gold in Tasmania, Tasmania: an Island of Potential, in: Geol. Survey Bull. 70, Tas. Dept. of Mines, p. 24-46.