Adelaide Mine (Adelaide Pty Mine; Adelaide Proprietary Mine), Dundas mineral field, Zeehan District, West Coast municipality, Tasmania, Australia
|Latitude & Longitude (WGS84):||41° 53' 7'' South , 145° 25' 44'' East|
|Latitude & Longitude (decimal):||-41.88528,145.42889|
An underground silver-lead mine, now operated as a crocoite specimen mine, and probably the prime source of crocoite in the world.
The host Cambrian ultramafics have been highly altered to serpentinites and galena and dolomite-rich rocks that have been deeply weathered forming crocoite-bearing gossans.
Mindat ArticlesUntold Story 40 by Richard Swierczek
25 valid minerals. 1 (TL) - type locality of valid minerals.
This geological map and associated information on rock units at or nearby to the coordinates given for this locality is based on relatively small scale geological maps provided by various national Geological Surveys. This does not necessarily represent the complete geology at this locality but it gives a background for the region in which it is found.
Click on geological units on the map for more information. Click here to view full-screen map on Macrostrat.org
|Furongian - Series 3|
485.4 - 509 Ma
Age: Cambrian (485.4 - 509 Ma)
Comments: sedimentary siliciclastic; synthesis of multiple published descriptions
Lithology: Sedimentary siliciclastic
Reference: Raymond, O.L., Liu, S., Gallagher, R., Zhang, W., Highet, L.M. Surface Geology of Australia 1:1 million scale dataset 2012 edition. Commonwealth of Australia (Geoscience Australia). 
- Chapman, A.H. (1972) On a spectacular find of croxoite in the Adelaide mine, Dundas, Tasmania. The Mineralogical Record: 3: 111-114
- Lancaster, K., (1977) Crocoite and its increasing scarcity. The Mineralogical Record: 8: 24-26
- Bottrill, R.S., Williams, P., Dohnt, S., Sorrell, S. and Kemp, N.R. (2006). Crocoite and associated minerals from Dundas and other locations in Tasmania. Australian Journal of Mineralogy. 12, 59-90
- Praszkier, T. & Wright, A. (2011): Ein neuer Krokoit-Sensationsfund in der Adelaide Mine/Tasmanien. Mineralien Welt. 22 (2): 70-79
- Bottrill, R. S. & Baker, W. E. (2008): A Catalogue of the Minerals of Tasmania. Geological Survey Bulletin 73, Mineral Resources Tasmania
- Thomas P. Moore, Wendell E. Wilson, 2012,
Major Crocoite Discoveries at the Adelaide Mine Tasmania
The Mineralogical Record, 43, p. 651-673
- - CHAPMAN, A. H. (1972) On a spectacular find of crocoite in
the Adelaide mine, Dundas, Tasmania.
Mineralogical Record, 3(3), 111–113.
- COOPER, M. P. (1994) Letter from Europe: the Munich Show.
Mineralogical Record, 25(2), 137–141.
- GREENE, E. (2012) Crocoite: the most beautiful mineral on the
- HAUPT, J. (1988) Minerals of Western Tasmania.
Mineralogical Record, 19(6), 381–388.
- KISSLING, A. (1996) Letter: crocoite find.
Mineralogical Record, 27(1), 67–68.
- PRASZKIER, T., and WRIGHT, A. (2010) Great new find: Adelaide
Mine 2010.Minerals: Newspaper for Collectors,1, 8–11.