|Latitude & Longitude (WGS84):||50° 13' 33'' North , 5° 16' 34'' West|
|Latitude & Longitude (decimal):||50.22596,-5.27619|
|UK National Grid Reference:||SW661414|
|Other regions containing this locality:||Devon and Cornwall metalliferous mining district, England, UK|
This mine was started as a copper mine in the early 19th century. First known as Trevenson Mine, it changed its name to East Wheal Crofty, when two small adjoining properties, Longclose and Dudnance mines, were included with the sett in 1830. In 1854, the latter mines were taken over by South Crofty Mine and East Wheal Crofty changed its name again to North Wheal Crofty. It continued work under this name until 1915, when it was included with South Crofty Mine. Pool Mine was the easternmost section; it was located just west of Pool cross-roads.
The sett extends from the Red River valley in the west to Pool in the east. The Camborne-Redruth road marks the southern boundary, and in the north, it is adjoined by East Wheal Seton. It comprises four lodes, from north to south, Fane's lode, Reeve's lode, Trevenson lode (Engine lode) and Cherry Garden lode. Except for Reeve's lode, which trends E-W, they all course in north-easterly directions. Trevenson lode, about 100 yards south of Reeve's lode in the west, joins the footwall of Reeve's lode in the middle of the sett. Cherry Garden lode, just south of Trevenson lode, does not intersect Reeve's lode, but changes strike and trends ENE in the eastern part of the sett. Only Reeve's lode was worked throughout the full length of the sett, a distance of about 1,000 yards. It was particularly productive in the western part, where it was up to 4 feet wide, and carried mainly copper ores. At depth, it became generally poor, although some patches of rich tin ores are said to have been encountered below the 110 fm level. It extends westwards into the Wheal Crofty sett, where it was known as Caunter lode.
Under the name East Wheal Crofty, the mine produced 100,952 tons of 7% copper ore during the periods 1832-1836, 1838, and 1848-1853, and 41 tons of black tin in 1855 and 1861. As North Wheal Crofty, it raised 9,319 tons of 6% copper ore between 1854 and 1874, and 1,635 tons of black tin in the years 1855-1874, 1899 and 1910.
12 valid minerals.
|Geologic Time||Rocks, Minerals and Events|
This geological map and associated information on rock units at or nearby to the coordinates given for this locality is based on relatively small scale geological maps provided by various national Geological Surveys. This does not necessarily represent the complete geology at this locality but it gives a background for the region in which it is found.
Click on geological units on the map for more information. Click here to view full-screen map on Macrostrat.org
358.9 - 382.7 Ma
|Upper Devonian Rocks (Undifferentiated)|