Help|Log In|Register|
Home PageMindat NewsThe Mindat ManualHistory of MindatCopyright StatusManagement TeamContact UsAdvertise on Mindat
Donate to MindatSponsor a PageSponsored PagesTop Available PagesMindat AdvertisersAdvertise on Mindat
Minerals by PropertiesMinerals by ChemistryAdvanced Locality SearchRandom MineralSearch by minIDLocalities Near MeSearch ArticlesSearch GlossaryMore Search Options
Search For:
Mineral Name:
Locality Name:
The Mindat ManualAdd a New PhotoRate PhotosLocality Edit ReportCoordinate Completion ReportAdd Glossary Item
StatisticsThe ElementsMember ListBooks & MagazinesMineral Shows & EventsThe Mindat DirectoryHow to Link to MindatDevice Settings
Photo SearchPhoto GalleriesNew Photos TodayNew Photos YesterdayMembers' Photo GalleriesPast Photo of the Day Gallery

Andrews Quarry (old Hale Quarry; Grandfather Andrews Quarry), Portland, Middlesex Co., Connecticut, USA

This page is currently not sponsored. Click here to sponsor this page.
Latitude & Longitude (WGS84): 41° 37' 52'' North , 72° 35' 59'' West
Latitude & Longitude (decimal): 41.6311111111, -72.5997222222

A quarry in granite pegmatite that was worked for feldspar from about 1881 to 1900 and for beryl in 1960 to 1963. During the initial operations in the late 19th century, it was apparently known as the Hale Quarry (See Stugard, 1958, Table 9, p. 651) as mentioned by Rice (1885). This nomenclature change has led to confusion with the later but nearby and much larger Hale Quarry, which was originally worked by Harry Andrews of Glastonbury in a different pegmatite starting in 1902. So what was by 1910 called "Andrews Quarry" (Bastin, 1910) was also called the "old Hale Quarry" for a time after the "new" Hale Quarry opened. For example, the large beryl on display at Wesleyan University shown at is from Andrews Quarry but is correctly labeled as "Hale Quarry" based on its 1886 collection date. Foye (1922) states that "Hale or Andrews quarry...situated just south of a small stream at an elevation of 55 meters (180 feet) approximately." The description matches the detailed map of Andrews Quarry shown in Barton and Goldsmith (1968), the "new" Hale quarry is farther south and at higher elevation.

Still, confusion persisted. Zodac (1941) refers to the Andrews Quarry as "Grandfather Andrews Quarry" because it was worked by Harry Andrews' grandfather and correctly states that "This quarry has been abandoned for many years." Zodac then uses the name "Andrews Quarry" for the new Hale Quarry and says "it is also known as the Hale Quarry". This confusing nomenclature was also used by Little (1942) who attributes recent finds of excellent uranium minerals and other minerals to the Andrews Quarry, but based on Zodac (1941) the collecting trip was to the operating "new" Hale Quarry. The suite of secondary uranium minerals is also present at Andrews, but not in as well-formed examples as found at Hale. Fortunately the map provided by Zodac (1941) makes clear which quarry is which and the differences in mineralogy between the two is carefully pointed out.

Mineralogically, Andrews is best known for good monazite-(Ce) crystals, one specimen from here is on display at the Smithsonian Natural History Museum in Washington, DC, large columbites (one was on display at Harvard U. in Cambridge, Massachusetts), and Boltwood's (1907) first radiometric age dating analyses (of monazite and uraninite samples attributed via Hillebrand's 1890 work to the "Hale Quarry" in "Glastonbury, Conn.")

The location town of origin was later corrected to Portland by Foye (1922), who provides the following description:

The [Hale or Andrews] quarry is no longer worked, but in its day it was one of the best in the region. Large, well formed monazite crystals (2 to 3 cm. in diameter) were found here, and are not known elsewhere in the district. Other minerals were molybdenite, sphalerite, rose quartz, zircon, columbite, massive green apatite, purple heterosite (secondary after triphylite), and uraninite. The uraninite analyzed [for emitted gases] by [William Francis] Hillebrand in 1889 [and later by Boltwood (1907)] was from this quarry...A single blast about the year 1884 yielded 100 kilograms or more of columbite, the largest single yield from one pocket known in this vicinity. The entire mass was without crystalline planes.

Schairer (1931) also mentions the uraninite from the Andrews Quarry, though he calls it Hale.

The following description is from Barton and Goldsmith (1968):

The Andrews on a 4-acre tract owned by Marshall H. Andrews, of Portland, and in 1963 the acres were under lease to Joseph Koslowski of Cromwell. It was mined for feldspar by two small open cuts early in this century. Since 1960 the quarry and dumps have been intermittently worked for beryl. During the 1960-63 period about 12 tons of beryl were hand-picked out of a total weight of dump and pegmatite moved of about 5,000 tons for a recovery of about 0.24 percent beryl by weight.

The pegmatite is in the form of a sheet, exposed on this property along strike for 600 feet. To the north it extends as an almost continuous outcrop at least 2,000 feet more onto the property of Cape Hall, Glastonbury. Southward the pegmatite disappears beneath overburden but continues to be expressed topographically as a slight ridge for several hundred feet. It is west of, and stratigraphically above, the large, beryl-poor pegmatite being mined for feldspar in the nearby Hale quarry. The strike of the sheet ranges from N 20° W near the south end to about due north at the northern property boundary (Isinglass Road). The dip ranges from 30° to 50° W. The sheet is undulating along strike forming an outcrop pattern creating an uneven ridge; that is, alternate rock knobs and alluvial-filled swales where the pegmatite is concealed except where streams have cut their base levels down to rock surface (as in the case of Hales Brook). Thickness averages 30 to 50 feet. The pegmatite, as exposed in the walls of the Andrews quarry is well zoned: 10 outer feet of fine-grained plagioclase-quartz-perthite¬muscovite on the top and bottom, and then an inner 10 to 30 feet of coarse perthite-quartz with accessory muscovite, green beryl, plagioclase, and columbite with some of the euhedral perthite crystals up to 3 feet in diameter. The beryl occurs both in large (up to 1 foot long) discrete hexagonal prismatic crystals and as irregular masses up to 500 pounds each. Tabular columbite crystals weigh up to 10 pounds apiece. The muscovite mica is badly ruled and suitable only for scrap. This inner zone is cut by irregular pods and lenses of gray, white, and rose quartz up to 20 feet long by 5 feet wide.

Mineral List

25 valid minerals. 7 erroneous literature entries.

The above list contains all mineral locality references listed on This does not claim to be a complete list. If you know of more minerals from this site, please register so you can add to our database. This locality information is for reference purposes only. You should never attempt to visit any sites listed in without first ensuring that you have the permission of the land and/or mineral rights holders for access and that you are aware of all safety precautions necessary.


Rice, W. N. (1885), Minerals from Middletown, Connecticut. American Journal of Science: third series, 29: 263.

Boltwood, Bertram, B. (1907): On the Ultimate Disintegration Products of the Radio-Active Elements. Part II - The Disintegration Products of Uranium. American Journal of Science: Fourth Series, 23(134): 77-88.

Bastin, E. S. (1910): Economic Geology Of The Feldspar Deposits Of The United States: U.S. Geological Survey, Bulletin 420: 50-51.

Sanford, Samuel and R. W. Stone. (1914): Useful Minerals of the United States. United States Geological Survey, Bulletin 585.

Watts, A. S. (1916): The Feldspars of the New England and North Appalachian States. U. S. Bureau of Mines Bulletin 92.

Foye, W. G. (1922): Mineral Localities in the Vicinity of Middletown, Connecticut. American Mineralogist: 7: 4-12.

Schairer, John F. (1931): Minerals of Connecticut. Connecticut Geological and Natural History Survey, Bulletin 51.

Zodac, Peter (1941): The Andrews Quarry Near Portland, Conn. Rocks and Minerals: 16(5): 164-167.

Foye, W. G. (1949): The Geology of Eastern Connecticut. State Geological and Natural History Survey Bulletin 74.

Schooner, Richard. (1958): The Mineralogy of the Portland-East Hampton-Middletown-Haddam Area in Connecticut (With a Few Notes on Glastonbury and Marlborough).

Stugard, Frederick, Jr. (1958): Pegmatites of the Middletown Area, Connecticut. USGS Bulletin 1042-Q.

Schooner, Richard. (1961): The Mineralogy of Connecticut. Fluorescent House, Branford, Connecticut.

Barton, William R. and Carl E. Goldsmith. (1968): New England Beryllium Investigations. U. S. Bureau Of Mines, Report Of Investigations 7070.

Brookins, D.G., Fairbairn, H.W., Hurley, P.M., And Pinson, W.H. (1969): A Rb-Sr Geochronologic Study of the Pegmatites of the Middletown Area, Connecticut. Contributions to Mineralogy and Petrology: 22: 157-168.

Januzzi, R. (1976): Mineral Localities of CT and Southeastern NY State. Mineralogical Press, Danbury.

Guiness, Alison. (1995): The Wesleyan Museum of Natural History, Middletown, Connecticut. Rocks & Minerals (Connecticut Issue): 70(6): 383-4.

Weber, Marcelle H. and Earle C. Sullivan. (1995): Connecticut Mineral Locality Index. Rocks & Minerals (Connecticut Issue): 70(6): 403.

Mineral and/or Locality is an outreach project of the Hudson Institute of Mineralogy, a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization.
Copyright © and the Hudson Institute of Mineralogy 1993-2017, except where stated. relies on the contributions of thousands of members and supporters.
Privacy Policy - Terms & Conditions - Contact Us Current server date and time: October 19, 2017 19:02:51 Page generated: July 16, 2017 16:30:58
Go to top of page