Log InRegister
Home PageAbout MindatThe Mindat ManualHistory of MindatCopyright StatusWho We AreContact UsAdvertise on Mindat
Donate to MindatCorporate SponsorshipSponsor a PageSponsored PagesMindat AdvertisersAdvertise on Mindat
Learning CenterWhat is a mineral?The most common minerals on earthInformation for Educators
Minerals by PropertiesMinerals by ChemistryAdvanced Locality SearchRandom MineralRandom LocalitySearch by minIDLocalities Near MeSearch ArticlesSearch GlossaryMore Search Options
Search For:
Mineral Name:
Locality Name:
The Mindat ManualAdd a New PhotoRate PhotosLocality Edit ReportCoordinate Completion ReportAdd Glossary Item
StatisticsThe ElementsUsersBooks & MagazinesMineral MuseumsMineral Shows & EventsThe Mindat DirectoryDevice Settings
Photo SearchPhoto GalleriesNew Photos TodayNew Photos YesterdayMembers' Photo GalleriesPast Photo of the Day Gallery

Civilian Conservation Corps Quarry (CCC Quarry; Smith Quarry; Turkey Hill quarry lot), Haddam, Middlesex Co., Connecticut, USA

This page is currently not sponsored. Click here to sponsor this page.
Latitude & Longitude (WGS84): 41° 27' 30'' North , 72° 30' 52'' West
Latitude & Longitude (decimal): 41.45833,-72.51444

This 19th century feldspar quarry is situated in a granite pegmatite near the former Civilian Conservation Corps’ (CCC) Camp Filley barracks (built 1933) on Filley Road, at its intersection with Turkey Hill Road, in the Beaver Meadow District of Haddam. NOTE: The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) was a government make-work program during the Great Depression. CCC recruits were put to work on all manner of public works projects from roads to roadside springs, foresting tasks and campgrounds, etc.

The pegmatite quarry situated immediately SW of the former CCC barracks appears abandoned and slightly overgrown (gray-toned) on the earliest available (1934) aerial photographs, when the camp was just completed. So it doesn’t appear to have been quarried by the CCC. Research by Ed Force indicates that it was operated by Horace and Daniel Smith. In 1803, their father had bought land from the Heber Brainerd estate (on land west of Turkey Hill Road). The sons bought it in 1829 and after Daniel died, Horace sold what had become known as the Horace and Daniel Smith Quarry (or the Turkey Hill Quarry Lot) to Samuel Arnold II. When quarrying stopped is uncertain.

Williams (circa 1945) refers to it as "the Feldspar quarry on Turkey Hill Road" or just "the Feldspar quarry", mentioning that is is "close to the C.C.C. Camp" and near the "parting paths", which must be the 5-way intersection where Beaver Meadow and Turkey Hill Roads, plus 2 other roads, meet. He mentions "Microcline, Beryl in fine crystals; Aquamarine, Uraninite, Autonite [sic], Muscovite" and "Biotite in large masses" at this quarry.

Other than this brief mention, the information here comes from collecting trips in the last 20 years of so. The absence of large dumps suggests they were used as fill somewhere. Minerals found recently in the quarry are limited to the common pegmatite minerals microcline, albite, quartz, muscovite, annite, and schorl.

Collecting is allowed ONLY during permit dates issued by the State of Connecticut Dept. of Energy and Environmental Protection to educational groups (mineral clubs, schools, etc.). See their web site link below for details.

Mineral List

9 valid minerals.

Regional Geology

This geological map and associated information on rock units at or nearby to the coordinates given for this locality is based on relatively small scale geological maps provided by various national Geological Surveys. This does not necessarily represent the complete geology at this locality but it gives a background for the region in which it is found.

Click on geological units on the map for more information. Click here to view full-screen map on Macrostrat.org

Late Ordovician - Middle Ordovician
443.8 - 470 Ma
Collins Hill Formation

Age: Ordovician (443.8 - 470 Ma)

Stratigraphic Name: Collins Hill Formation

Description: ( = Partridge Formation of New Hampshire) - Gray, rusty-weathering, medium- to coarse-grained, poorly layered schist, composed of quartz, oligoclase, muscovite, biotite, and garnet, and commonly staurolite, kyanite, or sillimanite, generally graphitic, interlayered with fine-grained two-mica gneiss, especially to the west, and with calc-silicate and amphibolite layers, also rare quartz-spessartine (coticule) layers.

Comments: Part of Eastern Uplands; Iapetus (Oceanic) Terrane - Bronson Hill Anticlinorium; Brimfield Schist and equivalent formations (includes Collins Hill Formation) (Upper? and Middle Ordovician).

Lithology: Major:{schist}, Minor:{gneiss}, Incidental:{amphibolite, calc silicate rock}

Reference: Horton, J.D., C.A. San Juan, and D.B. Stoeser. The State Geologic Map Compilation (SGMC) geodatabase of the conterminous United States. doi: 10.3133/ds1052. U.S. Geological Survey Data Series 1052. [133]

Data and map coding provided by Macrostrat.org, used under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 License

This page contains all mineral locality references listed on mindat.org. This does not claim to be a complete list. If you know of more minerals from this site, please register so you can add to our database. This locality information is for reference purposes only. You should never attempt to visit any sites listed in mindat.org without first ensuring that you have the permission of the land and/or mineral rights holders for access and that you are aware of all safety precautions necessary.


Williams, Horace S. (circa 1945): Article for New York Society of Mineralogists. Brainerd Public Library, Haddam, Connecticut.

External Links

Mineral and/or Locality  
Mindat.org is an outreach project of the Hudson Institute of Mineralogy, a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization.
Copyright © mindat.org and the Hudson Institute of Mineralogy 1993-2018, except where stated. Mindat.org relies on the contributions of thousands of members and supporters.
Privacy Policy - Terms & Conditions - Contact Us Current server date and time: June 18, 2018 06:46:42 Page generated: October 15, 2017 10:00:36
Go to top of page