Cwm Colliery, Beddau, Llantwit Fardre, Rhondda-Cynon-Taff, Wales, UK
|Latitude & Longitude (WGS84):||51° 33' 59'' North , 3° 20' 36'' West|
|Latitude & Longitude (decimal):||51.56650,-3.34336|
|UK National Grid Reference:||ST069862|
|Other regions containing this locality:||Glamorgan, Wales, UK|
|Köppen climate type:||Cfb : Temperate oceanic climate|
|Other/historical region names associated with this locality:||Mid Glamorgan; Glamorgan|
Cwm Colliery was opened by the Great Western Colliery Co. in 1914 and taken over by Powell Duffryn Associated Collieries Ltd. in the 1920s. In 1938 there were 1,269 men employed.
Following a reconstruction scheme in the 1950s, Cwm Colliery was linked underground and worked jointly with Coed Ely Colliery, over 5km to the west. By the 1970's the collieries jointly produced 515,000 tons of steam coal a year with a workforce of 1,580 men.
Cwm Colliery closed in November 1986. Extensive area of dumps currently remain, only partially landscaped and with new material being exposed all the time in drain-off runnels, between Church Village and Beddau Coke Works.
2 valid minerals.
This geological map and associated information on rock units at or nearby to the coordinates given for this locality is based on relatively small scale geological maps provided by various national Geological Surveys. This does not necessarily represent the complete geology at this locality but it gives a background for the region in which it is found.
Click on geological units on the map for more information. Click here to view full-screen map on Macrostrat.org
|Westphalian - Moscovian|
307 - 315.2 Ma
|South Wales Upper Coal Measures Formation|