San Diego Co., California, USA
This page is currently not sponsored. Click here to sponsor this page.
|Location is approximate, based on center of defined region.|
|Latitude & Longitude (WGS84):||33° 23' 15'' North , 117° 3' 5'' West (est.)|
|Museums in region:|
No description has been added for this locality. Can you add one?
Mindat ArticlesWhere Nature Stores Her Jewels by Edna R. Schley 1905 by Scott L. Ritchie
Commodity ListThis is a list of exploitable or exploited mineral commodities recorded from this region.
Mineral ListMineral list contains entries from the region specified including sub-localities
192 valid minerals. 6 (TL) - type locality of valid minerals.
Rock Types Recorded
Note: this is a very new system on mindat.org and data is currently VERY limited. Please bear with us while we work towards adding this information!
Rock list contains entries from the region specified including sub-localities
Select Rock List TypeAlphabetical List Tree Diagram
Entries shown in red are rocks recorded for this region.
- Igneous rock
- Sedimentary rock and sediment
- Metamorphic rock
Localities in this Region
- San Diego Co.
- Agua Hedionda
- Aguanga Mountain District (Smith Mountain District)
- Allied Gardens
- Anza-Borrego Desert State Park
- Banner District
- Beauty Mountain
- Beauty Peak
- Borego Valley
- Borrego Springs
- Boulder Creek District
- Andes prospect
- Bill Hills prospect
- Bullard prospect
- Cameron Corners pit (Gravel pit; Buckman Springs pit)
- Campo Molybdenum deposit (Lippner deposit; Midway deposit; Aikan; Dillback deposit; Dillbeck deposit)
- Companion No. 1 deposit (Campo deposit)
- Golden Star No. 1 claim
- Hauser Canyon
- Quality deposit (Orion; Osborne)
- Unnamed Silica claim - 5
- Unspecified Mn occurrence
- White Rose deposit
- Willhite group
- Carrizo Gorge
- De Luz
- Deer Park
- Del Dios
- Del Mar
- East Grove
- El Cajon
- Atkison pit
- Bly Stone Company Quarry
- Cleveland-Pacific Mine (Escondido Mine)
- Continental Granite pit (Harmony Grove pit)
- Cravath Mine (Crauath Mine)
- Crescent Valley
- Escondido Quarries; Inc. Mine (John Stridsberg Quarries; Superior Black Quarry; Don Potts Quarry; Crystal Black Quarry; Pacific Cut Stone and Granite Company)
- Geneva Mine
- Genger pit
- Moe Mines
- Morris Clay deposit
- Oro Fino Mine (Oro Fino El Diablo Mine)
- San Pasqual pit and mill
- South of Escondido
- Stoddard Borrow pit (Escondido Rock and Sand Company)
- Unspecified Rose Quartz occurrence
- Vista Mine (W. H. Peters deposit)
- W. E. Van Deventer Quarry (Daley Corporation Quarry; Van Deventer Quarry; Bernardo Quarry)
- Fish Creek Mts
- Grapevine Canyon
- Imperial Beach
- In-Ko-Pah Mts (In-Ko-Pah Range)
- Jacumba District
- Jacumba Mts
- Jamul Mts
- Julian District
- La Janza Canyon
- La Jolla
- La Mesa
- La Presa
- Laguna Mts
- Lake Henshaw
- Lake San Marcos
- Lake Wohlford
- Atchison Quarry
- California Wire Sawyer Corporation Quarry
- Cameron-Deering Quarries Mine (Simpson-Pirnie; Matson and Cameron; A. E. Babcock)
- Coston Construction Company Mine
- Echo Mine
- El Cajon Kaolin deposit
- El Capitan Quarry
- Featherstone deposit
- Fernbrook (Woolsey)
- Foster Quarry (Lakeside-Foster Quarry)
- Hoover Mine (Hoover deposit; Hoover Lakeside Mine; Tunner Mine)
- Ireys Black Granite deposit
- Iron Master prospect (Cornellius; El Cajon)
- Lakeside Lime and Marl deposit
- Lakeview deposit
- Lehnberg Quarry (Foster Quarry; Lehnberg deposit; Foster Quarry; Meyer Quarry)
- Merrick Kaolin deposit
- Meyer Granite Quarries
- National Quarries Mine (Johnson Brothers Quarries)
- San Diego Quarry (Raymond Granite Company Quarry)
- Southern California Granite Company Quarry (Rossi Quarry)
- TTT Quarry (Mine No. 1)
- Unnamed quarry
- San Diego Co.
- San Diego Co.
- Lulubelle Mine
- Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton
- Mason Valley
- Mesa Grande District
- Moreno Valley
- National City
- Ocotillo Wells
- Offshore Submarine Banks
- Otay Mts
- Pacific Beach
- Pala District
- Ramona District
- Rancho Penasquitos
- Rancho San Diego
- Rancho Santa Fe
- Able Mine
- Carmean Quarry
- Clifton Mine
- Dorothy and Pearl claims (Pearl and Dorothy Ann claims; Pearl and Dorothy claims)
- Encinitas Mine (Danes Lea Mine)
- Fairbanks Ranch
- Four-Gee deposits (Four-Gee Golden deposits; Golem)
- Greenstone Quarry
- Harris deposit (Pyrophyllite Mine)
- Huchting Ranch deposit
- Mountain Lion Mine
- Palagonite deposit
- Pioneer Mine
- Unnamed stone quarry
- Rincon District
- San Clemente area
- San Diego
- San Diego Country Estates
- San Felipe
- San Luis Rey
- San Marcos
- San Marcos Mts
- San Ysidro Mts
- Santa Margarita Mts
- Santa Margarita Ranch
- Santa Rosa Mts
- Santa Ysabel
- Acme Truck Company pit No. 2 (Broken Stone Quarries; Acme Truck Company pit No. 1)
- American Marble and Granite Works Mine (Jose Covas)
- Dave Martin Prospect pit
- Fletcher Quarries Mine
- McKoon Quarry (Mission Silver Gray Granite Company; Deering and McDonald Quarry; A. I. Lodge Quarry; Matson and Deering Quarry)
- Olswick prospect (Giswick deposit)
- Patterson Trucking Company Mine
- Simpson-Pirnie Granite Company Mine (Santee Quarry)
- Sawtooth Mts
- South of San Diego
- Split Mountain
- Valley Center
- D. G. Bryant Quarry (Merriam Quarry; San Marcos Mine)
- E. E. Cowdrey Mine (E. E.Cowdrey pit)
- Fellows and Clutter Quarry
- Galbrath Quarry
- John Knox deposit (Vista Mine)
- Marron Quarry (Marrow Quarry)
- Mountain Bell Mine (Hogerman property)
- National Blue Granite Company Quarry
- Pete Matson Quarry (Matson & Kouns Quarry; Matson & McDonald Quarry; Merriam Quarry)
- Pomona Granite Company Quarries
- Richardson pit
- South Coast Asphalt Quarry (Haymar Street Quarry)
- Sycamore Avenue Quarry (Vista Quarry)
- Ted Lee deposit (Vista Mine)
- Texas Quarries (National Quarries)
- Twin Oaks Quarry (Silbergerger pit)
- Vista Black Granite Quarry (National Quarries; Emil Johnson Brothers Quarry)
- Volcan Mts
- Warner Springs District
- Winter Gardens
- San Diego Co.
This page contains all mineral locality references listed on mindat.org. This does not claim to be a complete list. If you know of more minerals from this site, please register so you can add to our database. This locality information is for reference purposes only. You should never attempt to visit any sites listed in mindat.org without first ensuring that you have the permission of the land and/or mineral rights holders for access and that you are aware of all safety precautions necessary.
Sort by Year (asc) | by Year (desc) | by Author (A-Z) | by Author (Z-A)
Blake, Wm. P. (1856), Observations on the physical geography and geology of the coast of California, from Bodega Bay to San Diego: US Coast Survey, Report 1855.
Orcutt, Charles Russell (1887), Minerals and mines of San Diego County, California: West Am. Sci.: 3: 69-72.
Goodyear, Watson Andrews (1888), Inyo, Kern, Los Angeles, San Bernardino, San Diego, Tulare Counties: California Mining Bureau. Report 8.
Goodyear, Watson Andrews (1890), San Diego County: California Mining Bureau. Report 9: 139-154.
Fairbanks, Harold W. (1893b), Geology of San Diego County; also portion of Orange and San Bernardino Counties: California Mining Bureau. Report 11: 76-120.
Storms, William H. (1893), Los Angeles, San Bernardino, San Diego Counties: California Mining Bureau. Report 11: 243-248, 337-369, 376-387.
Schaller, Waldemar Theodore (1903b), Spodumene from San Diego County, California: University of California, Department of Geological Sciences Bulletin: 3: 265-275.
Sterrett, Douglas Bovard (1904), Tourmaline from San Diego County, California: American Journal of Science, 4th. series: 17: 459-465; […(abstract): Geol. Zentralbl., Band 9: 677 (1907)]:.
Waring, G.A. (1905), Quartz from San Diego County, California American Journal of Science, 4th. Series: 20: 125-127; [(abstract): Geol. Zentralbl., Band 8: 642].
Schaller, Waldemar Theodore (1911g), Bismuth ochers from San Diego County, California: American Chemical Society Journal: 33: 162-166; […Zeitschr. Kristallography, Band 49: 229-232 (1911); (abstract): Washington Academy of Sciences Journal: 1: 37 (1911)]: .
Rogers, Austin Flint (1912), Notes on rare minerals from California: Columbia University, School of Mines Quarterly: 33: 375.
Merrill, Frederick James Hamilton (1914) Geology and mineral resources of San Diego and Imperial counties. California Sate Mining Bureau.
Calkins, F.C. (1916), An occurrence of nickel ore in San Diego County, California: USGS Bulletin 640: 77-82.
Merrill, Frederick James Hamilton (1916), San Diego, Imperial Counties: California Mining Bureau. Report 14: 635-743; […(abstract): Geol. Zentralbl., Band 27: 395 (1922)]: .
Schaller, Waldemar Theodore (1916d), Cassiterite in San Diego County, California: USGS Bulletin 620: 351-354; […Geol. Zentralbl., Band 28: 101 (1922)].
Davis, H.E. (1918), Molybdenum in San Diego: Engineering & Mining Journal: 20: 28-29.
Tucker, W. Burling (1924a), Imperial, Inyo, Kern, Los Angeles, Riverside, San Bernardino, San Diego, Ventura Counties: California Mining Bureau. Report 20: 33-50, 87-97, 185-200, 367-374.
Tucker, W. Burling (1925), San Diego County: California Mining Bureau. Report 21: 223-245.
Woodford, A.O. (1925), The San Onofre breccia; its nature and origin: University of California, Department of Geological Sciences Bulletin 15: 159-280; [… (abstract): Geol. Zentralbl., Band 33: 109 (1926)]: 186, 192, 193.
Reed, Ralph Daniel (1928), A siliceous shale formation from southern California: Journal of Geology: 36: 342-361; […(abstract): Geol. Zentralbl., Band 38: 171 (1928), …39: 497 (1929); …Neues Jahrb., 1931, Referate 3: 571-572]: 347.
Richard, L.M. (1930), Pyrophyllite in San Diego County, California: American Ceramic Society Bulletin: 14: 123-129.
Van Amringe, E.V. (1933), The gem minerals of San Diego County, California: Mineralogical Society of Southern California Bulletin 2(7): 1-4.
Grieger, J.M. (1934), San Diego County, California gem mines not exhausted: Mineralogist: 2(10): 7-8, 20.
Ware, J.W. (1935), Gem Mining In San Diego County, California. Gems & Gemology, Vol. I, No. 8, March-April, 240pp. The American Gem Society, Los Angeles, California.
Tucker, W. Burling & Charles H. Reed (1939), Mineral resources of San Diego County: California Division Mines Report 35: 8-55.
Hertlein, Leo George & Ulysses S. Grant, IV (1944), The geology and paleontology of the marine Pliocene of San Diego, California, part I, geology: San Diego Society of Natural History Memorandum, vol. 2, 72 pp.
Creasey, S.C. (1946), Geology and nickel mineralization of the Julian-Cuyamaca area, San Diego County, California: California Division Mines Report 42: 15-30.
Merriam, Richard Holmes (1946), Igneous and metamorphic rocks of the southwestern part of the Ramona quadrangle, San Diego County, California: Geological Society of America Bulletin: 57: 223-260.
Palmer, D.F. (1946), Second Annual Report San Diego County Department of Agriculture, Division of Natural Resources: 2(2).
Hoppin, Richard Arthur & L.A. Norman (1950), Commercial “black granite” of San Diego County, California Calif. Iv. Mines Special Report 3, 19 pp.
Jahns, Richard Henry & John F. Lance (1950), Geology of the San Dieguito Pyrophyllite area, San Diego County, California: California Division Mines Special Report 4, 32 pp.
Larsen, Esper Signius, Donald L. Everhart & Richard H. Merriam (1951), Crystalline rocks of southwestern California: California Division Mines Bulletin 159, 136 pp.
Berkholz, Mary Frances (1953), Magic gems, a San Diego County field trip, Mineral Notes & News, Jun 1953: 12.
Dawson, N.E. (1953), Gem minerals of San Diego County: Mineral Notes ad News p. 6, June 1953.
Arcienega, Victor M. (1954), San Diego County’s pegmatites: Mineral Notes and News: Dec 1954: 30, 32, 69.
Snyder, Doris (1962), Epidote and garnet in San Diego County: Gems & Minerals, No. 292: 22-23, Jan., 1962.
Bushee, J. (1963), Lead alpha ages for zircons from bathlitic and prebatholitic rocks, San Diego and Orange Counties, California: (abstract) Geological Society of America Special Paper 73: 29-30.
Weber, F.H., Jr. (1963a) Mines and mineral resources of San Diego County, California. California Division of Mines and Geology County Report No. 3, 309 pp.
Murdoch, Joseph & Robert W. Webb (1966), Minerals of California, Centennial Volume (1866-1966): California Division Mines & Geology Bulletin 189: 59, 69, 70, 239, 302, 393.
Sinkankas, J. (1967) Notes on some minerals from San Diego County, California. Gems and Minerals 363: 34-35.
Horensky, M. (1969) Blue topaz from San Diego County. Gems and Minerals: 381: 37.
Larson, W.F. (1977), The Best of San Diego County [California]. Mineralogical Record: 8(6): 507-515.
Taylor, B.E., Foord, E.E., and Friedricksen, H. (1979) Stable isotope and fluid inclusion studies of gem-bearing granitic pegmatite-aplite dikes, San Diego County, California. Contributions to Mineralogy and Petrology: 68: 187-205.
Mayerle, R. (1982), Mineral Investigation of the Caliente RARE II Area, San Diego County, California: U.S. Bureau of Mines Open-File Report MLA 106-82, Fig. 1, p. 5 (Carmelita Mine).
Pemberton, H. Earl (1983), Minerals of California; Van Nostrand Reinholt Press: 484, 488.
Bancroft, P. (1989) Gem Mining in San Diego County. Environment Southwest, San Diego Natural History Museum, Number 525, pages 14-20.
Walawender, M. J. (2000) The Peninsular Ranges: A geological guide to San Diego’s back country. Kendall/Hunt Publishing Company, DuBuque, Iowa. Illustrated.
Foord, E. E., "Gem-Bearing Pegmatites of San Diego County, California;" Geological Excursions in Southern California and Mexico; M. J. Walawender and B. B. Hanan, Editors.