Chino Mine (Santa Rita Pit; Santa Rita Mine), Santa Rita, Santa Rita District, Grant Co., New Mexico, USA
|Latitude & Longitude (WGS84):||32° 47' 24'' North , 108° 4' 21'' West|
|Latitude & Longitude (decimal):||32.79000,-108.07250|
|Köppen climate type:||BSk : Cold semi-arid (steppe) climate|
Porphyry copper deposit.
Comprised of two open pit mines (North pit and South pit) and includes the Groundhog, Pewabic and Empire skarn occurrences.
44 valid minerals. 1 (TL) - type locality of valid minerals.
This geological map and associated information on rock units at or nearby to the coordinates given for this locality is based on relatively small scale geological maps provided by various national Geological Surveys. This does not necessarily represent the complete geology at this locality but it gives a background for the region in which it is found.
Click on geological units on the map for more information. Click here to view full-screen map on Macrostrat.org
|Cenomanian - Albian|
93.9 - 113 Ma
|Mancos Shale and Beartooth and Sarten Formations|
Age: Cretaceous (93.9 - 113 Ma)
Stratigraphic Name: Mancos Shale; Beartooth Formation; Sarten Formation
Description: Mancos includes what was formerly referred to as Colorado Shale, which in turn may include equivalents of Tres Hermanos Formation.
Reference: Horton, J.D., C.A. San Juan, and D.B. Stoeser. The State Geologic Map Compilation (SGMC) geodatabase of the conterminous United States. doi: 10.3133/ds1052. U.S. Geological Survey Data Series 1052. 
- Rose, A.W., and Baltosser, W.W. (1966): The porphyry copper deposit at Santa Rita, New Mexico, in: Titley, S.R., and Hicks, C.L. (eds.): Geology of the porphyry copper deposits, southwestern North America. University of Arizona Press (Tucson), 205–220.
- Econ Geol (1980) 75:229-250.
- Einaudi, M.T. (1982): Description of skarns associated with porphyry copper plutons, in: Titley, S.R. (ed.): Advances in geology of the porphyry copper deposits, southwestern North America. University of Arizona Press (Tucson), 139–183.
- Econ Geol (1985) 80:1328-1347.
- Audétat, A., Pettke, T., and Dolej, D. (2004): Magmatic anhydrite and calcite in the ore-forming quartz-monzonite magma at Santa Rita, New Mexico (USA): genetic constraints on porphyry-Cu mineralization. Lithos 72, 147–161.
- Singer, D.A., Berger, V.I., and Moring, B.C. (2005): Porphyry Copper Deposits of the World: Database, Map, and Grade and Tonnage Models. USGS Open-File Report 05-1060.
- Singer, D.A., Berger, V.I., and Moring, B.C. (2008): Porphyry copper deposits of the world: Database and grade and tonnage models, 2008. US Geological Survey Open-File Report 2008-1155.
-Lueth, V, R. Gibbs, and R, North (2009) A history of Mineral Collecting at the Chino Mine, Grant County, New Mexico. Rocks & Minerals 84:492-500.