Drws-y-Coed Mine (Drwy-y-Coed Mine), Nantlle Vale, Gwynedd, Wales, UK
|Latitude & Longitude (WGS84):||53° 3' 31'' North , 4° 10' 16'' West|
|Latitude & Longitude (decimal):||53.05861,-4.17111|
|UK National Grid Reference:||SH545535|
|Other/historical region names associated with this locality:||Caernarvonshire|
|Other regions containing this locality:||Snowdonia National Park, Wales, UK|
A very old mine that was reputedly visited by King Edward 1st in 1284. There is a record of Cornish miners working at Drws-y-Coed in 1761 and many miners and "copper ladies" moved here from Parys Mountain in Anglesey during the 1830s as the lodes there became less productive.
Probably at its peak during the period circa 1820-40, the Drws-y-Coed mine remained in production until towards the end of the 19th century. However, by the 1880s output rarely exceeded 200 tons per annum. Attempts to work the mine in the early part of the 20th century were largely unsuccessful.
Although a total output of 13000 tons of ore is recorded, this is thought to be a great underestimate, with the real output possibly about double this figure.
Ref: The Old Copper Mines of Snowdonia, David Bick, 3rd Edition 2003.
12 valid minerals.
This geological map and associated information on rock units at or nearby to the coordinates given for this locality is based on relatively small scale geological maps provided by various national Geological Surveys. This does not necessarily represent the complete geology at this locality but it gives a background for the region in which it is found.
Click on geological units on the map for more information. Click here to view full-screen map on Macrostrat.org
456.5 - 470 Ma
|Llanvirn Rocks (Undifferentiated)|