Konar Province (Kunar Province; Konarh Province; Konarha Province; Nuristan), Afghanistan
This page is currently not sponsored. Click here to sponsor this page.
|Location is approximate, based on center of defined region.|
|Latitude & Longitude (WGS84):||34° North , 71° East (est.)|
NOTE: Nuristan province sensu strictu (http://www.mindat.org/loc-135473.html) became officially recognised in 2001 (wikipedia) or 2004 (statoids.com), but was already known for 10 years. It was formed from the northern parts of Laghman Province and Konar (Kunar) Province.
Note, however, that "Nuristan" is also the traditional name for the region that encompasses these three current provinces (i.e., NE Afghanistan) and the name is still often used in that fashion.
Konar Province covers most of the Afghan part of the Konar valley, and most of the valleys of its confluents. Only a small part of the lower valley, a few kilometers upstream of its confluence with the Kabul river near Jalalabad, belongs to Nangarhar Province. Depending on which confluents are considered an integral part of the valley, the area referred to as "Konar Valley" may cover anything between about two thirds and all of Konar Province, making it not only a rather vague but also an ill-defined locality description. Therefore, photos of specimens labelled as coming from Konar Valley should be placed under Konar Province.
Mineral ListMineral list contains entries from the region specified including sub-localities
33 valid minerals.
Rock Types Recorded
Note: this is a very new system on mindat.org and data is currently VERY limited. Please bear with us while we work towards adding this information!
Rock list contains entries from the region specified including sub-localities
Select Rock List TypeAlphabetical List Tree Diagram
Localities in this Region
- ⭔Konar Province (Kunar Province; Konarh Province; Konarha Province; Nuristan)
- ⭔Asadabad District
- ⭔Bar Kunar District
- ⭔Chapa Dara District
- Konar Province (Kunar Province; Konarh Province; Konarha Province; Nuristan)
- Chapa Dara District
- ⭔Chawkay District (Chawki District)
- ⭔Dangam District
- ⭔Dara-i-Pech District (Pech District)
- ⭔Narang District
- ⭔Nari District
This page contains all mineral locality references listed on mindat.org. This does not claim to be a complete list. If you know of more minerals from this site, please register so you can add to our database. This locality information is for reference purposes only. You should never attempt to visit any sites listed in mindat.org without first ensuring that you have the permission of the land and/or mineral rights holders for access and that you are aware of all safety precautions necessary.
Sort by Year (asc) | by Year (desc) | by Author (A-Z) | by Author (Z-A)
- Gulyam-Ali-Khan (1949): Report on the beryl deposit in the vicinity of Dara-i-Qunar [Kunar Valley], Rec. Off. DCMS, Kabul.
- Fuchs, G., Matura, A., Schermann, O. (1974): Vorbericht über geologische und lagerstättenkundliche Untersuchungen in Nurestan, Afghanistan. Verh. Geol. B.-A. 1974, 9-23 (in German). [https://opac.geologie.ac.at/wwwopacx/wwwopac.ashx?command=getcontent&server=images&value=VH1974_009_A.pdf]
- Feruz, N.M. and Denikaev, Sh.Sh. (1976) Intrusive and ultrametamorphic rocks of Nuristan and Eastern Badakhshan (North-Eastern Afghanistan). Doklady Akademii Nauk SSSR: 226(1).