Glasdir Mine, Llanfachreth, Dolgellau Gold Belt, Gwynedd, Wales, UK
|Latitude & Longitude (WGS84):||52° 46' 59'' North , 3° 52' 6'' West|
|Latitude & Longitude (decimal):||52.78322,-3.86843|
|UK National Grid Reference:||SH740223|
|Köppen climate type:||Cfb : Temperate oceanic climate|
|Other/historical region names associated with this locality:||Merionethshire|
|Other regions containing this locality:||Snowdonia National Park, Wales, UK|
Although one of the most extensive mines in the Dolgellau gold belt, Glasdir, first opened as a quarry about 1852, was primarily a copper mine, with 13,077 tons of dressed copper ore leaving the mine between 1872 - 1913.
In 1907, the owner Stanley Elmore, who had previously built a mill for the Elmore Flotation Process at the Sygun copper mine at Bedgellert, transferred the plant and equipment to Glasdir when that mine failed.
Glasdir closed in 1915. The recorded output of precious metals between 1872-1915 was 8,275 ounces of silver (1913-14)and 735 ounces of gold (1914).
Goldmining in Western Merioneth, T. A. Morrison (undated)
The Gold Mines of Merioneth, G.W. Hall (undated)
7 valid minerals.
This geological map and associated information on rock units at or nearby to the coordinates given for this locality is based on relatively small scale geological maps provided by various national Geological Surveys. This does not necessarily represent the complete geology at this locality but it gives a background for the region in which it is found.
Click on geological units on the map for more information. Click here to view full-screen map on Macrostrat.org
|Tremadocian - Late Cambrian|
477.7 - 501 Ma
|Upper Cambrian, Including Tremadoc|