Yulong Cu-(Mo) deposit, Jomdo Co. (Jiangda Co.), Qamdo Prefecture (Changdu Prefecture), Tibet Autonomous Region, China
|Latitude & Longitude (WGS84):||31° 37' 33'' North , 97° 47' 44'' East|
|Latitude & Longitude (decimal):||31.62583,97.79556|
One of the world's largest copper mines, with estimated reserves of 6.5 million tons of copper (700 million tons of ore with an average grade of 0.94% Cu).
49 valid minerals.
GeochronologyMineralization age: Eocene : 41.9 Ma to 38.3 Ma
Important note: This table is based only on rock and mineral ages recorded below and is not necessarily a complete representation of the geochronology, but does give an indication of possible mineralization events relevant to this locality. As more age information is added this table may expand in the future. A break in the table simply indicates a lack of data entered here, not necessarily a break in the geologic sequence. Grey background entries are from different, related, localities.
|Geologic Time||Rocks, Minerals and Events|
This geological map and associated information on rock units at or nearby to the coordinates given for this locality is based on relatively small scale geological maps provided by various national Geological Surveys. This does not necessarily represent the complete geology at this locality but it gives a background for the region in which it is found.
Click on geological units on the map for more information. Click here to view full-screen map on Macrostrat.org
201.3 - 252.17 Ma
|Triassic sedimentary rocks|
- Fan, P.-F. (1984): Geologic setting of selected copper deposits of China. Economic Geology 79, 1785-1795.
- Zhou, Y. (1985): Alteration and mineralization zoning of ore deposits in the Yulong porphyry copper belt. Mineral Deposits 4(2), 23-30 (in Chinese with English abstract).
- Fan, P.-F. (1986): Porphyry copper deposits in East and Southeast Asia. Memoir of the Geological Society of China 7, 249-257.
- Ge, C., Sun, H., and Zhou, T. (1990): Copper deposits of China, in: Mineral deposits of China, Vol. 1, Geological Publishing House, Beijing, p. 1-106.
- Zhang, H., and Rui, Z. (1992): Geologic setting of the porphyry copper deposits series of China. Acta Geologica Sinica 5(1), 59-73.
- Zhang, H., Pei, R., and Wu, L. (1993): Evolution of the porphyry copper deposits from Proterozoic to Cenozoic Era in China. Proceedings of the 29th International Geological Congress 1992, Mineral Resources Symposia Volume A, Resource Geology Special Issue, no. 15, Tokyo, p. 55-65.
- Tang, R., and Luo, H. (1995): The geology of Yulong porphyry copper-(molybdenum) ore belt, Xizang (Tibet), No. 1, Party of Xizang Bureau of Geology and Mineral Resources, Beijing, Geological Publishing House, 320 p. (in Chinese with English summary).
- Wang, Z. (1996): Source of the Yulong porphyry copper ore zone and its formation mechanism, China (abstract), 30th International Geologic Congress, Abstracts, Vol. 2, Beijing, p. 632.
- Dequan Shuai, Rubo Zhang, Mei Luo and Jingwu Zhang (1998): The study of natural Cu-Zn series mineral - Tongxinite. Acta Mineralogica Sinica 18(4), 509-512.
- Rui, Z., Wang, L., and Wang, Y. (2002): Porphyry copper deposit models in China: Workshop on Assessing Undiscovered Mineral Resources, June 24-28, Beijing, China, China Geological Survey and U.S. Geological Survey, p. 42-52.
- Gu, X.X., Tang, J.X., Wang, C.S., Chen, J.P., and He, B.B. (2003): Himalayan magmatism and porphyry copper-molybdenum mineralization in the Yulong ore belt, East Tibet. Mineralogy and Petrology 78, 1-20. DOI 10.1007/s00710-002-0203-6
- Hou, Z., Ma, H., Khin, Z., Zhang, Y., Wang, M., Wang, Z., Pan, G., and Tang, R. (2003): The Himalayan Yulong porphyry copper belt: product of large-scale strike-slip faulting in eastern Tibet. Economic Geology 98, 125-145.
- Zengqian Hou, Pusheng Zeng, Yongfeng Gao, Andao Du, and Deming Fu (2006): Himalayan Cu-Mo-Au mineralization in the eastern Indo-Asian collision zone: constraints from Re-Os dating of molybdenite. Mineralium Deposita 41, 33-45.
- Zengqian Hou, Yuling Xie, Wenyi Xu, Yinqing Li, Xlangkun Zhu, Zaw Khin, Beaudoin, G., Zongyao Rui, Wei Huang, and Ciren Luobu (2007): Yulong Deposit, Eastern Tibet: A High-Sulfidation Cu-Au Porphyry Copper Deposit in the Eastern Indo-Asian Collision Zone. International Geology Review 49(3), 235-258.
- Zengqian Hou, Khin Zaw, Guitang Pan, Xuanxue Mo, Qiang Xu, Yunzhong Hu, and Xingzhen Li (2007): Sanjiang tethyan metallogenesis in SW China: tectonic setting, metallogenic epochs and deposit types. Ore Geology Reviews 31, 48-87.
- Yanjing Chen, Huayong Chen, Khin Zaw, Pirajno, F., and Zengjie Zhang (2007): Geodynamic settings and tectonic model of skarn gold deposits in China: An overview. Ore Geology Reviews 31, 139-169.
- Singer, D.A., Berger, V.I., and Moring, B.C. (2008): Porphyry copper deposits of the world: Database and grade and tonnage models, 2008. US Geological Survey Open-File Report 2008-1155.