Help|Log In|Register|
Home PageMindat NewsThe Mindat ManualHistory of MindatCopyright StatusManagement TeamContact UsAdvertise on Mindat
Donate to MindatSponsor a PageSponsored PagesTop Available PagesMindat AdvertisersAdvertise on Mindat
Minerals by PropertiesMinerals by ChemistryAdvanced Locality SearchRandom MineralSearch by minIDLocalities Near MeSearch ArticlesSearch GlossaryMore Search Options
Search For:
Mineral Name:
Locality Name:
The Mindat ManualAdd a New PhotoRate PhotosLocality Edit ReportCoordinate Completion ReportAdd Glossary Item
StatisticsThe ElementsMember ListBooks & MagazinesMineral Shows & EventsThe Mindat DirectoryHow to Link to MindatDevice Settings
Photo SearchPhoto GalleriesNew Photos TodayNew Photos YesterdayMembers' Photo GalleriesPast Photo of the Day Gallery

Tiffin, Seneca Co., Ohio, USA

This page is currently not sponsored. Click here to sponsor this page.
Latitude & Longitude (WGS84): 41° 6' 51'' North , 83° 10' 40'' West
Latitude & Longitude (decimal): 41.1141666667, -83.1777777778

Tiffin is the county-seat of Seneca County in Clinton Township named in honor of Edward Tiffin, the first governor of Ohio and a senator who had fought for statehood for the Ohio Territory. The major geographical feature of the city is the Sandusky River. Tiffin was noted as a major glass and porcelain manufacturing center.

The first quarries in Tiffin were described by N. Winchell in 1873. This report, is in fact the first bulletin for the Ohio Division of Geological Survey. In the report Winchell (1873) and Lang (1880) described three major quarries operating within the city limits:

Quarry No. 1 was located on Washington Street and what is known as Water Street. Leeson (1886) stated that a gentlemen named Jerry Sullivan, an early settler of Tiffin, opened the quarry at North Washington Street. Winchell (1873) noted the only major mineral at this quarry was calcite. This locality is called "Quarry No. 1", because it was the first quarry in Tiffin described by Winchell.

Quarry No. 2 was located a quarter mile on the east bank of the Sandusky River, which was called the City Quarry. Again, the only major mineral that Winchell (1873) noted was calcite and was the second quarry described by Winchell.

Quarry No. 3 was located on the east bank of the Sandusky River on the south edge of Tiffin. Winchell (1873) observed celestine and calcite at this locality. A historical map of Tiffin shows a “Lime Kiln and Quarry” southwest of Martha Street.

Leeson (1886) briefly described that the three quarries were still in operation when he published his information and that the limestone produced from those quarries made excellent building material.

A catastrophic flood occurred on March 25, 1913 and Quarries No. 1 and No. 2 were likely abandoned after this flood. After the flood, the city underwent a major river improvement project, which removed any traces of Quarries No. 1 and 2. For more information on the 1913 flood, the Seneca County Museum has several photographs on their website

A fourth quarry described by Ernest Carlson (1983, 1991) is the "Big Four Quarry" located east of Tiffin, adjacent to a former New York Central Railroad line. This locality was noted for producing iridescent fluorite and had flooded prior to 1960.

Mineral List

Mineral list contains entries from the region specified including sub-localities

8 valid minerals.

Localities in this Region


The above list contains all mineral locality references listed on This does not claim to be a complete list. If you know of more minerals from this site, please register so you can add to our database. This locality information is for reference purposes only. You should never attempt to visit any sites listed in without first ensuring that you have the permission of the land and/or mineral rights holders for access and that you are aware of all safety precautions necessary.


Winchell, N.H. (1873) Reports on the geology of Sandusky, Seneca, Wyandot and Marion Counties. Ohio Division of Geological Survey: 1(1): 591-645

Lang, W. (1880) History of Seneca County, from the close of the Revolutionary War to July, 1880. Transcript Printing Company, Springfield, Ohio: 691.

Leeson, M.A. (1886) History of Seneca County, Ohio, containing a history of the county, its townships, towns, villages, schools, churches, industries, etc; portraits of early settlers and prominent men; biographies; history of the Northwest territory; history of Ohio; statistical and miscellaneous matter, etc., etc. Warner, Beers & Company, Chicago, Illinois: 1074.

Schrader, F.C, Stone, R.W., and Sanford, S. (1917), Useful minerals of the United States. United States Geological Survey, Bulletin 624: p. 491

Carlson, E.H. (1983) The occurrence of Mississippi Valley-type mineralization in northwestern Ohio, in Kisvarsanyi, G., Grant, S.K., Pratt, W.P., and Koenig, J.W., eds, Proceedings. International Conference on Mississippi Valley Type Lead-Zinc Deposits: University of Missouri-Rolla: 424-435.

Carlson, E.H. (1991) Minerals of Ohio. Ohio Department of Natural Resources, Bulletin 69: 155.

Carlson, E.H. (2015) Minerals of Ohio. Ohio Department of Natural Resources, Bulletin 69: 290.

External Links

Mineral and/or Locality is an outreach project of the Hudson Institute of Mineralogy, a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization.
Copyright © and the Hudson Institute of Mineralogy 1993-2017, except where stated. relies on the contributions of thousands of members and supporters.
Privacy Policy - Terms & Conditions - Contact Us Current server date and time: September 24, 2017 11:35:37 Page generated: June 7, 2017 17:10:56
Go to top of page