This page is currently not sponsored. Click here to sponsor this page.
|Location is approximate, based on center of defined region.|
|Latitude & Longitude (WGS84):||45° North , 92° West (est.)|
St. Croix County is underlain by Cambrian and Ordovician sedimentary rocks. The Cambrian sediments are largely sandstones, often glauconitic. The Ordovician section tends to be carbonate dominated, with the notable exception of the super-mature St. Peter Sandstone. The carbonates are quarried for crushed stone. Calcite and drusy quartz can be found in these rocks.
Several faults originally of Keweenawan age, but reactived in post-Ordovician time, shift Cambrian and Ordovician strata. The most notable is the Hastings - Hudson Fault, traceable near Hudson and through Willow River State Park.
The Wisconsinan St. Croix moraine cuts through the county near the Interstate 94 corridor. The landscape south of there is bedrock dominated with only thin older glacial drift. North of the interstate the terrain is dominated by glacial landforms. Interesting materials can be found in the glacial drift including iron formation, float copper, omars, jasper and "Lake Superior" agates.
Mineral ListMineral list contains entries from the region specified including sub-localities
11 valid minerals.
Rock Types Recorded
Note: this is a very new system on mindat.org and data is currently VERY limited. Please bear with us while we work towards adding this information!
Rock list contains entries from the region specified including sub-localities
Select Rock List TypeAlphabetical List Tree Diagram
Entries shown in red are rocks recorded for this region.
Localities in this Region
- St. Croix Co.
- A. F. Partridge Dolomite Quarry
- Agronomics Inc. dolomite deposit
- Albert Davidson dolomite deposit
- Bjerstedt Lane Dolomite Quarry No. 1
- Bjerstedt Lane Dolomite Quarry No. 2
- Black Bass Bar Dolomite Quarry
- Bolen Creek dolomite deposit
- Boundary Road dolomite deposit
- Cady Creek limestone deposit
- Carleton Dolomite Quarry
- County Trunk N Dolomite Quarry
- Eau Galle River dolomite deposit
- Emmett Peskar dolomite deposit
- Francis Marson Dolomite Quarry No. 1
- Francis Marson Dolomite Quarry No. 2
- Francis Marson Dolomite Quarry No. 3
- Francois Quarry (St. Croix County Highway Department)
- G. & M. Stapleton Dolomite Quarry
- G. Emholtz Dolomite Quarry
- Glen Lake dolomite deposit
- Glen Lake Dolomite Quarry
- Glendale Drive Dolomite Quarry
- Glenmont Road Dolomite Quarry No. 1
- Glenmont Road Dolomite Quarry No. 2
- Glenwood City
- Glover Road Dolomite Quarry
- Gordon Griffey Dolomite Quarry
- H. & M. Rohl Dolomite Quarry No. 1
- H. & M. Rohl Dolomite Quarry No. 2
- Hammond Meteorite
- Hatfield Lake Dolomite Quarry
- Highway 65 sandstone deposit
- St. Croix Co.
- St. Croix Co.
- Hutton Creek dolomite deposit
- J. & N. Thompson Dolomite Quarry
- John Christianson Dolomite Quarry
- John Iverson Dolomite Quarry
- Kinnickinnic River dolomite deposit
- L. & J. Gibson Dolomite Quarry
- L. Pechuman dolomite deposit
- R. & N. Fulton dolomite deposit
- Rivard Quarry (Rivard Stone Company)
- River Falls
- Chapman Drive dolomite deposit
- Cudd's Quarry (River Falls Dolomite Quarry No. 4)
- G. & A. Jensen Dolomite Quarry
- Kinnickinnic River Dolomite Quarry
- Milton Houde Dolomite Quarry
- River Falls Dolomite Quarry No. 1
- River Falls Dolomite Quarry No. 2
- River Falls Dolomite Quarry No. 3
- River Falls Dolomite Quarry No. 5
- Vernon Peskar dolomite deposit
- W. & L. Lubich Dolomite Quarry
- Russ & Bobbie Ihrke Dolomite Quarry
- South Cove Road dolomite deposit No. 1
- South Cove Road dolomite deposit No. 2
- South Glover Road Dolomite Quarry
- Spring Valley Dolomite Quarry
- St Croix County Highway Department Spooner Quarry
- Ted Creek Dolomite Quarry
- Tower Road Dolomite Quarry
- Townsvalley Road Dolomite Quarry
- Viola Liddle Dolomite Quarry
- Wilber Miller Dolomite Quarry
- William F. Fuller Dolomite Quarry
- Wilson Dolomite Quarry No. 1
- Wilson Dolomite Quarry No. 2
- Wilson Rock & Limestone Emerald Quarry (Wilson Rock & Limestone Company; Inc.; Emerald Quarry)
- St. Croix Co.
This page contains all mineral locality references listed on mindat.org. This does not claim to be a complete list. If you know of more minerals from this site, please register so you can add to our database. This locality information is for reference purposes only. You should never attempt to visit any sites listed in mindat.org without first ensuring that you have the permission of the land and/or mineral rights holders for access and that you are aware of all safety precautions necessary.
Sort by Year (asc) | by Year (desc) | by Author (A-Z) | by Author (Z-A)
Hurley,P.M.,Cormier,R.F.,Hower,J.,Fairbairn,H.W.,and Pinson,W.H.,Jr.,(1960) Reliability of glauconite for age measurement by K-Ar and Rb-Sr methods :American Association of Petroleum Geologists Bulletin,v.44,p.1793-1808
Dott, R. & J. Attig (2004) Roadside Geology of Wisconsin: Mountain Press, 346 p.