How to Photograph Minerals - a mindat.org resource page
Mineral photography is a skill requiring a good understanding of your camera settings and the lighting and positioning of your mineral specimen. This section gives easy access to some of our resources for mineral photography including important articles, message threads, equipment reviews and of course our messageboard where you can ask your own questions about how to make the perfect mineral photo.
For more general photography-related articles and discussion why not check out Jolyon's blog on Canon photography - click here.
A small selection of some of our best photos are shown below. Refresh the page to randomize the selection, click on any photo to view full screen and to view details.
- 28th August 2015 My Black BOX or . . . . new Stacking Device
- 18th May 2015 360 degree Spin Mineral Photography
- 14th May 2015 Using a Ring Light for Dark Field Illumination in ...
- 29th October 2014 Uploading Images to Mindat
- 22nd February 2016 Objective measurements
- 30th December 2018 My setup chronology
- 26th August 2014 Mineral Photomicrography with Finitive Optics
- 3rd October 2014 Setup experiments with twin bellows and a Nikon ...
- 2nd November 2015 On generating stereo images with focus stacking ...
- 11th August 2014 Macrophotography setup for high magnification and ...
- 23rd July 2014 Mineral High Resolution Photomicrography with ...
- 13th February 2014 Home made Instrumentation for Mineral Video- and ...
- 24th October 2013 Dino-Lite Digital Microscope Performance
- 12th February 2014 Equipment Test
- 26th September 2011 Creating a Variety of Photo Backgrounds from One ...
- 19th September 2011 Ideas for Simple Textured Backgrounds in ...
- 30th March 2011 Proper Photography Lighting and Setup
- 27th December 2010 Optimal f-stop for 1:1 reproduction scale
- 9th December 2010 Simple photomicrography stand for DSLR cameras
- 18th June 2013 Basic mineral microphotography
- 12th April 2010 Mineral Photography
- 28th March 2010 New photographic setup
- 18th February 2010 Improved homemade photomacroscope
- 18th June 2013 Basic mineral microphotography
- 14th July 2010 Beginners "Budget" Mineral Photography Setup
- 31st August 2008 Photomicrography
Useful Message Threads
- Photographing with glass base19:21 17th Jun 2015 - posted by Matt Courville
- easy tips for photographing minerals with ...19:33 26th May 2015 - posted by Matt Courville
- Photographing fluorescence23:01 1st Dec 2014 - posted by Dennis McCoy
- Microscope objectives as macro lenses?14:29 27th Mar 2014 - posted by Henry Barwood
- Difficult to Photograph Minerals - ...02:13 27th Mar 2014 - posted by Anonymous User
- Tutorial: How many pictures I have to do to an ...00:23 12th Nov 2013 - posted by Fernandez Oscar
- Significant difference between Canon and Nikon ...02:35 30th Mar 2013 - posted by Henry Barwood
- Perfect Bench Photo Lighting Setup by Alan Scalone09:44 16th May 2012 - posted by Alan Scalone
- Playing around with Light and Background10:25 5th Nov 2011 - posted by Volker Betz
- cheap 5x macro objective using lens scavenged ...20:51 4th Aug 2011 - posted by Dominik Schläfli
- Sharpening photos06:26 22nd Jun 2011 - posted by Harjo Neutkens
- specimen supports.10:44 24th Nov 2010 - posted by Stephen Eglinton
- Getting better detail in photos23:48 5th Dec 2009 - posted by Anonymous User
Recent Photography Threads
- Re: Best photographs of specimens larger than 1cm22:40 13th Jan 2019 - posted by Rudolf Hasler
- Re: 360* views20:22 27th Dec 2018 - posted by Ronnie Van Dommelen
- Re: fluorescent/halogen overlays in photos - can ...08:31 26th Dec 2018 - posted by Jolyon & Katya Ralph
- fluorescent/halogen overlays in photos - can do?03:26 26th Dec 2018 - posted by Tony Peterson
- Re: Best photographs of specimens larger than 1cm01:15 17th Dec 2018 - posted by AM Mizunaka
- Re: Best photographs of specimens larger than 1cm20:48 15th Dec 2018 - posted by Antoine Barthélemy
- Re: Photo Style06:41 27th Nov 2018 - posted by Kevin Hean
- Re: Photo Style06:28 27th Nov 2018 - posted by Christian Auer
- Re: Photo Style02:31 27th Nov 2018 - posted by Kelly Nash
- Re: Photo Style02:06 27th Nov 2018 - posted by Kevin Conroy
- Re: Photo Style22:58 26th Nov 2018 - posted by Keith Compton
- Re: Photo Style21:25 26th Nov 2018 - posted by Antoine Barthélemy
- Re: Photo Style19:27 26th Nov 2018 - posted by Paul Brandes
- Re: Photo Style10:41 26th Nov 2018 - posted by Keith Compton
- Photo Style10:34 26th Nov 2018 - posted by Matt King
- Re: Best photographs of specimens larger than 1cm17:55 25th Nov 2018 - posted by Antoine Barthélemy
- Re: stereo microscope and DSLR13:11 29th Oct 2018 - posted by Owen Lewis
- Re: stereo microscope and DSLR19:25 28th Oct 2018 - posted by Jake Trexel
- Re: stereo microscope and DSLR23:57 27th Oct 2018 - posted by Owen Lewis
- Re: stereo microscope and DSLR20:05 27th Oct 2018 - posted by Jake Trexel
- Re: stereo microscope and DSLR21:06 25th Oct 2018 - posted by David Baldwin
- Re: stereo microscope and DSLR20:56 25th Oct 2018 - posted by Jake Trexel
- Re: stereo microscope and DSLR20:18 25th Oct 2018 - posted by Owen Lewis
- Re: stereo microscope and DSLR19:46 25th Oct 2018 - posted by Jake Trexel
- Re: stereo microscope and DSLR21:49 24th Oct 2018 - posted by Don Saathoff
More exceptional mineral photos
Click on any photo to view full screen and to see information on the photo.
For more excellent mineral microphotos click here to view a gallery highlighting the World of Mineral Microphotography.