|Latitude & Longitude (WGS84):||9° 52' 21'' South , 77° 0' 10'' West|
|Latitude & Longitude (decimal):||-9.87253,-77.00299|
|Köppen climate type:||ET : Tundra|
A lead-zinc mine with a 1,200 tons/day capacity. Operated by Cia. Minera Santa Luisa, owned by Mitsui Mining & Smelting Co. (Japan).
Famous for excellent pyrite and fluorite specimens. According to well-known mineral specimen importer Rock Currier, the Huanzala mine probably holds the world record with regard to total tonnage of mineral specimens produced by a single mine.
Previously noted as in Huallanca District, Dos de Mayo Province, Huánuco Department, Peru, but border has changed.
66 valid minerals. 1 (TL) - type locality of valid minerals. 1 erroneous literature entry.
This page contains all mineral locality references listed on mindat.org. This does not claim to be a complete list. If you know of more minerals from this site, please register so you can add to our database. This locality information is for reference purposes only. You should never attempt to visit any sites listed in mindat.org without first ensuring that you have the permission of the land and/or mineral rights holders for access and that you are aware of all safety precautions necessary.
Sort by Year (asc) | by Year (desc) | by Author (A-Z) | by Author (Z-A)
- Belsher, D.O. (1982): Pink octahedral fluorite from Peru. Mineralogical Record 13, 29-30 + 38.
- Mining Annual Review (1985): 353
- Economic Geology (1985) 80:416-478
- Rocks & Minerals: 60: 228.
- The Mineralogical Record: 28 (1997) 37-62.
- Imai, H. (1999): Mineralizations of base metal deposits of acid-sulfate type coexisting with adularia-sericite type. Resource Geology 49, 147-156.
- King, Van and Morgan, Robert (2007): Crystallography and Habit of Huanzala-Style Pyrite from Peru, Program and Abstracts Rochester Mineralogical Symposium, v 34, p. 18-19. (reprinted 2008, Rocks and Minerals).
- Jaroslav Hyrsl, Jack A. Crowley, Rock H. Currier, Terry Szenics (2011): PERU - PARADISE OF MINERALS, 544 pp. [Huanzala Mine: page 171]